Friday, October 29, 2010

It's the Little Things

This morning while our daughter drank her bottle I noticed her latest trick. She now holds her hands up and opens and shuts them while starring at the movement of her fingers. Yes I know, no big deal for most children and of course when we are busy busy busy sometimes we just want our little ones to drink their bottle so we can get them down for a nap. Ava had changed us. We look at her with eyes wide open. We watch her every move with more excitement and perhaps more passion than we might have six years ago when our third son was born. It sounds strange but all the little things Ava does have become such a miracle to us and it is great fun to be still and quiet and just take it all in. This morning I called Bob into the room to see if he could watch her watching her own hands but instead she just began to star into the eyes of her Daddy. He was on his way out and I loved his words, "She is just soooo cool!" 

All of the little things that shape and define our day can be so refreshing if we choose to see them with clearer, less hectic open eyes. Not always so easy for me but I sure do try. Here is my attempt to capture a few to remember this week...

The smile of my first grade son when I met him outside his classroom all ready for his Halloween parade. He dressed himself as I was busy getting my
 very popular daughter into the school in time for the parade (more on that in a minute). He was thrilled that he did it all by himself. Rock on Elvis!


Last Sunday's gorgeous trip to the orchard with all FOUR
of our kiddos. I absolutely love fall and seeing Ava in all her beauty in the middle of 
all the small orange pumpkins on a bright warm day was just delightful!


Before anyone cringes about "no socks," I took them off only briefly to snap 
her little toes with the pumpkins. :)


Three happy, healthy and WILD 
brothers who are so tight.
They have a deep love for one another!

Carter rocked this week and he does so many little things in a day to help our family run smoothly.
He is sweet and grateful almost always. This week he could hardly wait for his after school art class and I am enjoying watching him learn a few drawing techniques. He loves it and left the house this morning 
with colored pencils and his little notebook in hand.

This little thing is BIG. My fifth grader, dressed as President Regan, was so excited to have his 
sister at school. I was totally prepared to run out of the building if Ava was scared but instead she 
giggled through the entire afternoon while I visited both schools, the elementary and the 5th/6th.
What was so endearing was Hayden loving on his sister with such a pride. He was so excited to tell 
others that she is from Ethiopia. He introduced her to everyone and she had a blast, costumes and all.




Walking through school with Ava with all the other parents around was truly 
a memorable experience. Pick some sort of icon or movie star and picture yourself 
walking through a public arena with he or she. Yes that is what it often feels like when traveling with 
Miss Ava. THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT as much as it is a statement of truth...
Ava's smile is contagious and people want to know her story- our story!
I have said before that adoption is a huge responsibility on so many levels and here is one of those levels.
I feel like she is our child but she is also a child of God who can perhaps change the life of more children who may have started out life with similar circumstances. We do want to share her in a sense and we do want to hear and guide those who have had adoption on their hearts. I was overwhelmed yesterday as so many people were thrilled so finally see her and even those Moms who do not know us well had heard rumbling of Ava having come home. Even those people had to stop me to take a look at our new family member. It is wild, overwhelming, emotional and so much fun all at once to begin to introduce her to the world. I am rambling I know but I feel strongly like Ava herself and this blog platform will hopefully transform hearts and help people to just do it. Call me or email me. I will always be a listening ear or an open book with information on adoption, our process, the hardships, the joys. With 147 million orphans in the world we all need to be the change and begin with one, be it adoption, sponsorship and one time donation- anything. We can all do something :)

My favorite part of the walking the school halls was when my friend, Jenny, yelled during the costume parade, "Melanie, turn that baby around so we can see her!" Ava was in the Ergo and Jenny needed to see her. Yep then we were really on display for all the Mommas who were lining the lockers to see.
Thank you to all my many friends and our awesome community who have been so supportive and downright amazing. You have blessed us beyond words with your eagerness, messages and loving attention.
In many ways in seems that Ava came home to all of us!

One more thing. I shared this tip yesterday with a hundred others and my friend Andrea gives a bit more detail on her fabulous blog HERE
Have fun and don't forget to treasure the little things!



1 comment:

Rachel said...

precious!!! i can't believe how much she has grown since we were in ethiopia!!!

Into Our Arms Forever!

Remember to scroll down to mute the music.

welcome home ava! from melanie Strobel on Vimeo.

Meeting Ava during our first trip to Ethiopia

Don't foget to turn off the music below before watching video.

Meeting Ava Ethiopia Trip July 2010 from melanie Strobel on Vimeo.

Korah- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

During our recent visit to Ethiopia I felt very called to the village of Korah in Addis Ababa Ethiopia. There have been numerous rumblings lately about the tremendous need to help the children of Korah who are growing up in and around the local trash dump. The village was established 75 years ago as a place to send people with leprosy who were said to be cursed. Now there is a 3rd generation of people living in Korah with nearly 100,000 suffering from such things as leprosy, HIV, misc disease and of course malnutrition. There are many children of Korah who have been forced to live and work at the trash dump in hopes of finding food and possible items to sell in Korah's center of town. With the start of the Great Hope Church in Korah and the building of a shelter, along with the ministry of local Sammy Liben and Sumer Yates, there is now a feeding program and a sponsorship program in place to rescue the forgotten children of Korah and send them to boarding school where they can escape the horror of the conditions of living and working in a large trash dump. For more information please visit: www.help4korah.blogspot.com or www.p61.org where you can learn more about how you or your organization can help the people and the children of Korah. Please send me a message or email Erin Allen at erin@p61.org to request sponsorship information. I will soon be posting the photos of my day recently spent in Korah. I must tell you it was life changing and beyond anything I have ever done to stretch, change and rearrange myself. God helped me to help the people who I met. Much of what I could offer was nothing more than the snap of my camera or a warm touch or an inviting smile. The needs in Korah are beyond our wildest imagination yet God is over Korah and there is already amazing work being done. I invite you to view the following videos to learn more about the beauty and the needs of Korah's people.

CLICK HERE TO LEARN HOW TO SPONSOR A CHILD

P61 grab button

Love this...

You will need to turn off the music below in order to enjoy this video. Go down to playlist and turn it off.

Hannah's Hope Orphanage- Ethiopia

Remember to turn off music below before watching.