Monday, August 2, 2010

So much to share

They say home is where the heart is and yes that is generally the case but today I am feeling like my heart still lies in Ethiopia. Our daughter is there and now that we finally know her I know both my husband and I would agree that we left a piece of our hearts with her at Hannah's Hope in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The whole idea of meeting her. beginning to bond with her, legally stating we want her to become a part of our family and then leaving her just does not sit right as a Mother. We are doing what we need to do in order to bring sweet baby Strobel home but this process, this roller coaster ride we are on sure as my heart feeling mighty dizzy. As we took off Saturday night from Addis headed for Frankfurt, then Chicago and then home many tears began to flow. We will hope and pray that the Embassy date is assigned quickly so we can return to Ethiopia, appear in court and then finally receive the papers that legally allow us to bring her home. Yahoo!

Of course our Ava is the reason for our journey to Ethiopia but the story has become so much bigger. We were so fortunate to make several new friends and a few that we got to know very well and we hope to stay connected to for years to come as we raise our Ethiopian children. We were also very blessed to experience a third world country for the first time and I am now convinced that doing so should be mandatory for all Americans. It was so eye opening and helped me to become even more aware of what others endure but that ultimately we are all just people. We are God's people and we all require the same things. I saw that no matter your country of origin, the color of your skin or the size of your home we all just need to be loved. We all need a kind smile or a gentle touch. We all need a nourishing meal and water that is suitable to drink. No matter the street you roam or the relatives you have we all need a place to lay our heads at night. We all need clothing to keep us dry and warm. My week in Ethiopia helped me to better understand that basic needs are universal. Basic needs are essential and without them it is so challenging to survive especially as a child. The call to adopt Baby Ava is as big as the hearts of the children of Korah, or as wide as the smiles of the Special Mother's loving our babies at Hannah's Hope. The call to adopt lead us to the bigger picture of feeling what it was like to be the minority on the streets. Our adoption journey lead us to the Kolfe Boy's Home where new soccer balls and pizza are luxury items and where a boy who reached for his assigned pieces of pizza first turned to me to ask if I needed some before taking his first bite.

There is simply too much to share so I will continue to process it all for now. I will continue to pray for the safety and the health of our new daughter. I will continue to pray for the quick paperwork process in the Ethiopian courts. I will pray for Almaz and Was and all the many others who touched our heart this week with their dedication to the little souls of Ethiopia. I will pray that others are touched by adoption such as we have been. My heart feels so full it could burst and that is a very good thing.

Photos are soon to come...

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Praying right along with you my friend!!!

Amy said...

I hope you get back over there soon. If it helps, we will be meeting Malachi exactly one month to the day we passed court - so hopefully it will be just as fast for you. I can only imagine how hard it must have been to leave her behind. Let me know if I can help in any way - we leave in 3 days!

Julie said...

I completely agree with you, Melanie. Our trip too became about SO much more than just meeting our baby boy...Only God knows all of the good that will come from our time in Addis! :)

Into Our Arms Forever!

Remember to scroll down to mute the music.

welcome home ava! from melanie Strobel on Vimeo.

Meeting Ava during our first trip to Ethiopia

Don't foget to turn off the music below before watching video.

Meeting Ava Ethiopia Trip July 2010 from melanie Strobel on Vimeo.

Korah- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

During our recent visit to Ethiopia I felt very called to the village of Korah in Addis Ababa Ethiopia. There have been numerous rumblings lately about the tremendous need to help the children of Korah who are growing up in and around the local trash dump. The village was established 75 years ago as a place to send people with leprosy who were said to be cursed. Now there is a 3rd generation of people living in Korah with nearly 100,000 suffering from such things as leprosy, HIV, misc disease and of course malnutrition. There are many children of Korah who have been forced to live and work at the trash dump in hopes of finding food and possible items to sell in Korah's center of town. With the start of the Great Hope Church in Korah and the building of a shelter, along with the ministry of local Sammy Liben and Sumer Yates, there is now a feeding program and a sponsorship program in place to rescue the forgotten children of Korah and send them to boarding school where they can escape the horror of the conditions of living and working in a large trash dump. For more information please visit: www.help4korah.blogspot.com or www.p61.org where you can learn more about how you or your organization can help the people and the children of Korah. Please send me a message or email Erin Allen at erin@p61.org to request sponsorship information. I will soon be posting the photos of my day recently spent in Korah. I must tell you it was life changing and beyond anything I have ever done to stretch, change and rearrange myself. God helped me to help the people who I met. Much of what I could offer was nothing more than the snap of my camera or a warm touch or an inviting smile. The needs in Korah are beyond our wildest imagination yet God is over Korah and there is already amazing work being done. I invite you to view the following videos to learn more about the beauty and the needs of Korah's people.

CLICK HERE TO LEARN HOW TO SPONSOR A CHILD

P61 grab button

Love this...

You will need to turn off the music below in order to enjoy this video. Go down to playlist and turn it off.

Hannah's Hope Orphanage- Ethiopia

Remember to turn off music below before watching.