Thursday, August 12, 2010

Such a celebration!

Today I sit here as the luckiest girl in the world! Truly, I am richly blessed and supported in ways I can barely put into words. This week three friends who are also my dear neighbors, hosted a shower for me and for the little girl who will soon adorn our streets with her beautiful eyes and precious smile. My friends, Kim, Michelle and Carrie seriously went all out people and I do mean ALL OUT to get our all boy household ready for a little princess. Take a peak at a few photos below and you will see just how they spoiled me :)





So let me just say that that you have never seen a cuter and more amazing cake! 
It made me cry to see the blond momma holding the little cocoa baby complete with curly locks.
Here in Grand Rapids, Michigan certainly does deserve a shout out for clever and delicious cake.
The entire top square cake is now in our fridge and we plan to all share it as a family before I depart 
next week for Ethiopia. 
I'm telling you the entire night was super special!



The table looked extra special too with amazing flowers out of my girlfriend's backyard and 
darling cards displaying facts about Ethiopia.
They used fancy ribbons to wrap each napkin and even brewed Ethiopian coffee that we had brought home so that everyone attending could try it. 

YOU MIGHT BE WONDERING IF THEY ARE FOR HIRE BUT SADLY NO... THEY ARE ALL THREE BUSY MOMMIES WHO HAVE THEIR OWN BIRTHDAYS AND FAMILY EVENTS TO PLAN. :)

It was such a gift to me to be in a room with so many supportive women. I so appreciate the generosity, the curiosity and the support surrounding our adoption. I cannot help but think that several of us in attendance that night would make a terrific mission team. Most of us are raising little ones but who knows what the future holds. I just know that the adoption of one sweet baby into our hearts and our home has turned out to be so much more than I could have ever imagined. 

Even through the questions, the wait and the many program changes this has been a miraculous journey.
Thank you all for making me feel so blessed and so loved.
You guys ROCK!


3 comments:

Mama Mimi said...

My heart just BREAKS for these families in the Nepal program and for all those children just waiting with nowhere to go. :(

Amy said...

Precious cake! I am so excited for you to bring your beautiful daughter home soon.
Blessings,
Amy

Mama Mimi said...

Gorgeous cake! Don't know how my nepal comment ended up here...

Into Our Arms Forever!

Remember to scroll down to mute the music.

welcome home ava! from melanie Strobel on Vimeo.

Meeting Ava during our first trip to Ethiopia

Don't foget to turn off the music below before watching video.

Meeting Ava Ethiopia Trip July 2010 from melanie Strobel on Vimeo.

Korah- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

During our recent visit to Ethiopia I felt very called to the village of Korah in Addis Ababa Ethiopia. There have been numerous rumblings lately about the tremendous need to help the children of Korah who are growing up in and around the local trash dump. The village was established 75 years ago as a place to send people with leprosy who were said to be cursed. Now there is a 3rd generation of people living in Korah with nearly 100,000 suffering from such things as leprosy, HIV, misc disease and of course malnutrition. There are many children of Korah who have been forced to live and work at the trash dump in hopes of finding food and possible items to sell in Korah's center of town. With the start of the Great Hope Church in Korah and the building of a shelter, along with the ministry of local Sammy Liben and Sumer Yates, there is now a feeding program and a sponsorship program in place to rescue the forgotten children of Korah and send them to boarding school where they can escape the horror of the conditions of living and working in a large trash dump. For more information please visit: www.help4korah.blogspot.com or www.p61.org where you can learn more about how you or your organization can help the people and the children of Korah. Please send me a message or email Erin Allen at erin@p61.org to request sponsorship information. I will soon be posting the photos of my day recently spent in Korah. I must tell you it was life changing and beyond anything I have ever done to stretch, change and rearrange myself. God helped me to help the people who I met. Much of what I could offer was nothing more than the snap of my camera or a warm touch or an inviting smile. The needs in Korah are beyond our wildest imagination yet God is over Korah and there is already amazing work being done. I invite you to view the following videos to learn more about the beauty and the needs of Korah's people.

CLICK HERE TO LEARN HOW TO SPONSOR A CHILD

P61 grab button

Love this...

You will need to turn off the music below in order to enjoy this video. Go down to playlist and turn it off.

Hannah's Hope Orphanage- Ethiopia

Remember to turn off music below before watching.