Monday, August 30, 2010

Home

There are few words more precious than HOME. Today I am so aware of the many comforts we have and that all of the eagerness and emotion surrounding the arrival of our sweet daughter would not be possible without the following:

FAITH: An open mind and heart and a willingness to surrender and allow God to steer the ship. Relinquishing control is not my strong suite and let's face it most of us live the American lifestyle of working harder to gain more and get further. I have come to understand in a way I can barely express that letting go and letting God is one of the best gifts you might ever give yourself.

TEAMWORK: Never underestimate strong and frequent communication with your spouse. As teammates Bob and I have come to believe that all things are possible. It may not always look supper glamorous or even smart to those on the outside looking in but our constant dialogue is a big piece of our adoption story. You see way back when we began thinking of adoption and before we even felt the strong call to adopt, Bob and I would spend a great deal of time just talking. He would tell me I was crazy and that with the three children we already had our hands were very full and I would remind him that although I knew that I still felt the nudge that we were the family that should adopt. The dialogue we have shared through this journey has been priceless and I am grateful every day for such a devoted and exceptional man in my life!

GRATITUDE: Always remember to be grateful for your community. Our community of family, friends, church members and neighbors have been nothing short of sweet miracles and such an important part of this journey. As I looked around at those welcoming us home at the airport I was so touched by my feeling that this child comes home not just to a family of love and support but to a community of love and support!




ORGANIZATIONS:  All God's Children International has blown us away in their commitment to adoption and the orphans of Ethiopia. The staff loves the children as if they were their own and it was obvious from start to finish that they are well run, organized and on top of every detail. There are numerous organizations who are aiding orphans all over the world. You can make a difference in so many ways without ever feeling called to adopt. Ask me how or just start researching all that can be done to support those children who live without parents, homes, food and or education all over the world. I hope to get many of the best organizations posted to my site soon.


There is far more to share but as I go to sleep in my comfortable home with my family all fast asleep, I want to say how glad I am that God chose me. God chose us to become adoptive parents, God chose us to be open and willing, God chose us to be stretched and changed by what we would see in Ethiopia, God chose us to raise not only our first three children but now to raise four children with Christian values and hearts for the least of these. God chose us to spread our love.

Our work as beacons of light and hope and our promise to the orphan has just begun and today we are grateful that a little one who might not have survived has been found and that God has connected the many dots to create the shape of our lives together. We are HOME. Thank God for the journey!





1 comment:

Mama Mimi said...

Beautifully written! Looking forward to PICTURES! =)

Into Our Arms Forever!

Remember to scroll down to mute the music.

welcome home ava! from melanie Strobel on Vimeo.

Meeting Ava during our first trip to Ethiopia

Don't foget to turn off the music below before watching video.

Meeting Ava Ethiopia Trip July 2010 from melanie Strobel on Vimeo.

Korah- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

During our recent visit to Ethiopia I felt very called to the village of Korah in Addis Ababa Ethiopia. There have been numerous rumblings lately about the tremendous need to help the children of Korah who are growing up in and around the local trash dump. The village was established 75 years ago as a place to send people with leprosy who were said to be cursed. Now there is a 3rd generation of people living in Korah with nearly 100,000 suffering from such things as leprosy, HIV, misc disease and of course malnutrition. There are many children of Korah who have been forced to live and work at the trash dump in hopes of finding food and possible items to sell in Korah's center of town. With the start of the Great Hope Church in Korah and the building of a shelter, along with the ministry of local Sammy Liben and Sumer Yates, there is now a feeding program and a sponsorship program in place to rescue the forgotten children of Korah and send them to boarding school where they can escape the horror of the conditions of living and working in a large trash dump. For more information please visit: www.help4korah.blogspot.com or www.p61.org where you can learn more about how you or your organization can help the people and the children of Korah. Please send me a message or email Erin Allen at erin@p61.org to request sponsorship information. I will soon be posting the photos of my day recently spent in Korah. I must tell you it was life changing and beyond anything I have ever done to stretch, change and rearrange myself. God helped me to help the people who I met. Much of what I could offer was nothing more than the snap of my camera or a warm touch or an inviting smile. The needs in Korah are beyond our wildest imagination yet God is over Korah and there is already amazing work being done. I invite you to view the following videos to learn more about the beauty and the needs of Korah's people.

CLICK HERE TO LEARN HOW TO SPONSOR A CHILD

P61 grab button

Love this...

You will need to turn off the music below in order to enjoy this video. Go down to playlist and turn it off.

Hannah's Hope Orphanage- Ethiopia

Remember to turn off music below before watching.