Sunday, January 10, 2010

a new year with a new challenge...



We are ten days into the new year and this week has presented it's share of challenges. I had a minor ankle surgery on the 6th which did not exactly go as planned. I guess that comment is a bit humorous because things generally never go as planned when it comes to health stuff and me. UGH! So I had the surgery on Wednesday and I was told I would be in a walking boot and should be just fine to walk and drive in a few days. Fat chance! Today is Sunday and I am ever grateful for the gorgeous view out of my bedroom window since lying her is all I have been able to accomplish! I'm wearing a walking cast for 1-2 weeks and all would be fine except last night I pulled something crazy in my lower back and now I am fighting with that pain too. Ahh the joy of aging!

What I am trying to do is see the bright side. I have caught up on email and some blogging. I have a recent photo session nearly edited, I have spent great couch time with my children and we even managed a bit of piano and reading practice. I have read several chapters in a new book and had time to do a bit of writing. This giant black boot and achey back should be considered a gift but let's get real. I need to be on the move, cleaning something or driving someone somewhere or perhaps I should be out shopping for this week's meals. It is a challenge to give up what we think we do best. It is a challenge to let Bob do it all. I feel badly and wish for him to have a few minutes of down time to himself. Thanks to all who have helped out over the past few days. Such generosity is amazing! Now I just have to get it all straight in my head and realize that I do not have the control and like Bob keeps reminding me... "This too shall soon pass!"

No comments:

Into Our Arms Forever!

Remember to scroll down to mute the music.

welcome home ava! from melanie Strobel on Vimeo.

Meeting Ava during our first trip to Ethiopia

Don't foget to turn off the music below before watching video.

Meeting Ava Ethiopia Trip July 2010 from melanie Strobel on Vimeo.

Korah- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

During our recent visit to Ethiopia I felt very called to the village of Korah in Addis Ababa Ethiopia. There have been numerous rumblings lately about the tremendous need to help the children of Korah who are growing up in and around the local trash dump. The village was established 75 years ago as a place to send people with leprosy who were said to be cursed. Now there is a 3rd generation of people living in Korah with nearly 100,000 suffering from such things as leprosy, HIV, misc disease and of course malnutrition. There are many children of Korah who have been forced to live and work at the trash dump in hopes of finding food and possible items to sell in Korah's center of town. With the start of the Great Hope Church in Korah and the building of a shelter, along with the ministry of local Sammy Liben and Sumer Yates, there is now a feeding program and a sponsorship program in place to rescue the forgotten children of Korah and send them to boarding school where they can escape the horror of the conditions of living and working in a large trash dump. For more information please visit: www.help4korah.blogspot.com or www.p61.org where you can learn more about how you or your organization can help the people and the children of Korah. Please send me a message or email Erin Allen at erin@p61.org to request sponsorship information. I will soon be posting the photos of my day recently spent in Korah. I must tell you it was life changing and beyond anything I have ever done to stretch, change and rearrange myself. God helped me to help the people who I met. Much of what I could offer was nothing more than the snap of my camera or a warm touch or an inviting smile. The needs in Korah are beyond our wildest imagination yet God is over Korah and there is already amazing work being done. I invite you to view the following videos to learn more about the beauty and the needs of Korah's people.

CLICK HERE TO LEARN HOW TO SPONSOR A CHILD

P61 grab button

Love this...

You will need to turn off the music below in order to enjoy this video. Go down to playlist and turn it off.

Hannah's Hope Orphanage- Ethiopia

Remember to turn off music below before watching.